Thursday, June 23, 2011

How not to sell a commoditized product

I saw this on YouTube last night as I was working on packing for my upcoming trip to Estonia.  I laughed, not only because of Brian Regan's style but also because I've worked in consultative sales organizations as a marketer, sales consultant, operations/marketing person, or a combination of all three for almost 6 years. In these organizations, you would never (if you're positioning your product correctly and leveraging your training) sell your product in this way.

It got me thinking, however, because all products are eventually commoditized when the market gets penetrated, that differentiating your products as solutions to consumers' needs and values (if you're selling to consumers) or a business person's critical business needs and stated goals (if you're selling B2B) is critically important when your market is in this condition.



In light of that...  If you were this appliance sales person, how would you sell a refrigerator?

No comments: